Wednesday, June 18, 2014

De La Hacienda Taqueria

Have you ever heard about a place, but never managed to get over there? De La Hacienda Taqueria was one of those places for me. I'm happy to report I finally made it there for lunch and was glad I did!

Website


Located on the corner of Laurel and Washington, it's across the street from the Louden Nelson Center. It's small inside with under ten tables, but if you like Mexican food, you need to get here.


My first item from any new Mexican place for me is always nachos. What else covers the plate with all the essentials and topped with melted cheese, salsa and guacamole?


Their "guac" was actually sliced avocado, to which I was not displeased. The Chicken Nachos ($7.25) was very generous with meat, beans and chips. And the salsa is served in bottles on every table. It's much like the salsa at Tacos Morenos. Rumor has it that they have the same owner (I haven't confirmed this), but the salsa is fantastic!


My brother, Mike got the Super Carnitas burrito ($6.50), which was as big as his head. It had meat, cheese, beans, cabbage, avocado and sour cream. You can see how he liberally used the salsa bottle. I have to admit, the "take a bite, splash with more salsa" technique is a winner. Notice the grill marks on the tortilla - this is key to better flavor - no steaming this burrito!


I stopped by later in the week to treat myself to another lunch and picked up a regular Chicken Burrito ($5.50). The chicken was so tender and juicy, I almost didn't need salsa... almost. Chips are $1.75 and they have cans and bottles of soda for $1.25. There's also cerveza por favor!

Scores out of 10:
Food: 9
Service: n/a
Atmosphere: 6 (small but clean)
Value for price: 8
Overall: 7.75

No comments:

Post a Comment