Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Panda Inn - Aptos

Ever since starting this food blog, I have been getting suggestions on new places to eat. Santa Cruz has no shortage of wonderful dining destinations and even more in neighboring cities. This one is from my mom and her favorite Chinese food in Aptos... The Panda Inn.

Website

Nestled in the Deer Park Center, up around back - follow the signs, you'll find the Panda Inn. Once you enter, prepare to see pandas peeking out at you from everywhere. On the walls and hanging from baskets, you can't escape! Luckily, none were found on the menu...


My lunchtime companions included mom, dad and the offspring - all Chinese food fans. Let's see how my mom's recommendation does with this crowd.


Starting with the hot and sour soup, it was good, but much like others I've had around town. It did step up with its generous helping of chicken pieces throughout. It could be more like a meal in a bigger portion. We all ordered waters to drink and they were refilled without a thought - nice.


The lunch menu ($8.95) comes with soup, rice and an egg roll. Kelly got noodles, just noodles without any vegetables. I have failed to convince her that veggies are good for you. Well, she probably knows, but still avoids them at all costs. She did like the huge helping... "they go on forever!".


Mom got the Chinese Chicken Salad ($7.90) and it was big! She said a nutritionist had told her once that this was the healthiest meal in town. Who is she to argue? Loaded up with lettuce, almonds and chicken, it had a nice lemon soy vinaigrette dressing. The crispy bowl wasn't greasy at all.


Dad went healthy too with a custom order of fish and broccoli in a garlic sauce. It's a good thing when places let you customize what you want. He ditched the rice and got a bit more fish I think. He gave it a thumbs up.


One of my measuring sticks for Chinese is General Chicken. Most every place has it and I think it should be crunchy, spicy and sweet. The Panda got it right! I will say the dark, sticky sauce was less runny than most and slightly vinegary, but still very good. I missed mixing the sauce with the rice, but I'll live. The egg roll was also crunchy and cooked well.

I can see why The Panda Inn comes recommended. A cool interior with bamboo and pandas everywhere, good quality food and the service was no-nonsense.


Scores out of 10:
Food: 7
Service: 8
Atmosphere: 8
Value for price: 7
Overall: 7.50

No comments:

Post a Comment