Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Kao Sook Thai

It's been awhile since I wrote up a restaurant review - sometimes life can get in the way of what you like to do. Some friends of mine have been going through some tough times, so I dedicate this blog entry to them. When the going gets tough, the tough go out for Thai food!

Website

I have been to some good Thai places all over town like Sabieng, Thai Orchid and Sawasdee, so I like to think of myself as an expert. This place in Scotts Valley is small and hidden in a strip mall across from the Kings Village shopping center. Is it worth it to search out?

My dining companion was excited to try it too. You walk in and it's one big room with tables and the kitchen in the back. I liked the decorations they had at the front.



We started with a traditional Thai appetizer, Chicken Satay ($7.25) and what a feast for the eyes! I love those grill marks on the chicken, which was cooked through and still juicy (not dry). The peanut sauce had a nice zing to it and I think I hogged all the cucumber onion salad. It was a great way to start out meal.


Next up, Tom Kha or coconut milk soup ($9.95). There were lots of chicken, mushrooms and onions all floating around the bowls. The soup serving bowl is so cool with its volcano-like tower and the Sterno flame underneath. We wisely put aside the pieces of lemongrass - too tough to eat, but gave a nice flavor.


Our main dish was the Pumpkin Curry ($11.45), which was served in a neat fish-shaped bowl. The blue trim and the orange sauce made for another visual pleasure. There were very generous portions of beef and veggies including the nice chunks of pumpkin. As a curry, I was expecting more of a punch, but I didn't specify any hotness. Still, the flavors were good and not too sweet. My guest said she liked it too.


We also got the Chicken Fried Rice ($5.95) to go with the curry. It too had generous pieces of chicken and chopped veggies. The rice was cooked just right, not too sticky or dry, but the chicken itself was plain. I would have preferred it grilled or better seasoned. Still, it was fresh and not dry at all, but I'll rate it as average.

I need to mention our smiling server who made us feel right at home. It's funny how a smile can make you feel welcome and our waiter certainly did. He was always available and seemed proud to deliver to us all the delicious food.

Kao Sook is truly a good place to eat. I would include it with the other good Thai places I mentioned above.

Scores out of 10:
Food: 8
Service: 8
Atmosphere: 7
Value for price: 7
Overall: 7.50

No comments:

Post a Comment