Friday, August 1, 2014

Mission St. BBQ

I'd been meaning to get over to Mission St. BBQ for a blog post, but I knew I needed an expert to help with the review. There's nobody else close to my son Chris when it comes to a love of BBQ.

Website (Facebook page)


We got there late for dinner around 7:15pm, but the place was busy. There's menus on the shelf when you walk in and they have all the standard meats and sides for a BBQ place. This place has the same owners as Aptos St. BBQ, so if you've been there, it's the same menu.


This place used to be a KFC and then it was an Italian place. Since I work close-by, my co-workers and I were very happy to see a BBQ place move in. Lots of tables inside and few on the patio too. They also have an extensive beer list with several taps. Check out Wednesday for a $5 pint night. We ordered and then got cups for the soda machine ($2.49 each).


Chris went with the Pulled Pork dinner ($9.99) with 2 sides (beans and potato salad). It also came with toasted bread and hog wash. What's that, you ask? Hog wash is a vinegar/pepper sauce if you like your meat tangy. It's a nice extra. He was happy with the hearty meal and didn't even finish all the beans.


I went with the Westside Combo ($8.99), which is a choice of three of their meats and bread and a side. I got the tri-tip, pulled pork and a beef rib. I was a little sad when it was brought out to me... was this going to fill me up? The tri-tip was very tender and flavorful, but I wished I had more. The pork was great, but the rib had barely any meat on it. Good thing I could finish Chris' beans!


There's not another BBQ on the Westside of town, so this is it. Luckily, they fill the bill with good quality food, but I would knock them for the portions. I guess when you are the only one around, you can charge what you want.

Scores out of 10:
Food: 7
Service: 7
Atmosphere: 7
Value for price: 5
Overall: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment