Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Ocean City Buffet

So long ago, when the kids were younger, we took them to a Chinese buffet in town. They had fond memories of counters full of french fries, noodles and endless soft-serve ice cream. My daughter was reminiscing about it, so I suggested we try it again. We pulled up to the place on Water Street, but sadly, they had converted to just a Japanese sushi place now. Never fear, I exclaimed, I know of another!

Ocean City Buffet (Yelp)


So, it's not the best decor, but you aren't paying for that. You are paying for many different kinds of food with no limit! I'm not going crazy, like I did in high school (remember King's Table?) or even like I did in my 30s. I prefer quality over quantity these days, but sometimes you do things for the kids.

The buffet was $11.95 for lunch. Sushi, Chinese, soups, noodles, meat and veggies, seafood, fried foods and desserts! The sushi was okay - nothing spectacular, but decent.


My second plate was mostly Chinese food with an errant steam bun on the side. The teriyaki wings and beef and broccoli was good. All very passable, if not amazing. Again, you are going for variety here, not perfection.


The trays of food were clean and appetizing, very important for a buffet. What's the good of abundant amounts if they don't look good? Everything was warm too. Who likes cold Chinese food?


Here's my kid's favorite part - the deep-fried section! Onion rings, french fries, wontons, crab wraps, chicken nuggets, etc. They had tempura veggies too by the sushi section, so that's two kinds of crunchy onion rings!


Okay, here's my favorite thing of the trip - see that little round ball in the middle of the plate? Sesame Ball! It had red bean paste in the middle, which was only slightly sweet, making for a delish dessert! Better than the jello? Yes. Better than the coffee cake? Yup. Cookies too? Affirmative! Next time, I'm sneaking in a large Ziploc bag and making off with two dozen...


Buffets are difficult to review since there are so many different foods. Some are good, some not so much. Overall, Ocean City was a positive experience. The decor leaves a bit to me desired, so don't come looking to be inspired. Just keep going back for those Sesame Balls.

Scores out of 10:
Food: 7
Service: 5 (just water refills)
Atmosphere: 4
Value for price: 7 (bring those Ziplocs!)
Overall: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment