Thursday, January 29, 2015

DeLaveaga Lodge Restaurant

Nestled up above it all, in the woods north of Branciforte, is the DeLaveaga Golf Course. This is where I spent my youth searching for golf balls and getting poison oak. Well, not my whole youth, but one fateful day that I won't soon forget. But what does this have to do with food? There's also a restaurant upstairs above the Pro Shop.

DeLaveaga Golf & Lodge


I met my folks one Saturday morning, up at the DLGC for breakfast. The parking lot was full of hopeful birdie players and many golf carts were zipping around. I didn't see a sign clearly stating the restaurant upstairs, but just take the steps up and you're there. It was mostly full at 9am on Saturday, but we found a table. You could also eat at the bar.

The coffees were filled quickly and the menu is good-sized with pancakes, omelettes and waffles. Yes, the oatmeals and cereals are there too, but who gets that at a restaurant? I scanned the list and chose a personal fave.


The Chili Omelette with hash browns was served with a side cup of sour cream.  Looks good, right? It was good, but my surprise was that the omelette had just cheese inside. The only chili was scooped on top. Psych! It was still good to eat, not greasy and filling. But c'mon man! Where's my chili?


Dad got the Scrabbled Egg Whites and Chicken Apple Sausage. It think that's applesauce in the little cup above. It's his stand-by and enjoys it very much. Not sure why his hash browns were flattened compared to mine.


Mom got the French Toast with a side of bacon. "Want some, honey?" Aren't moms the best? It was crispy and chewy - always a sign of a cook who knows his way around a kitchen. This is also her stand-by and was happy.

You know the theme song to the TV show "Cheers"? Where everybody knows your name... My folks knew like five people hanging out up there. And they don't golf! So, if you are looking for a causal breakfast joint with fairway views, you could do a lot worse than DLGC.

Scores out of 10:
Food: 7
Service: 7
Atmosphere: 7
Value for price: 7
What can I say? Solid 7s - better than average. Not as good as Pebble Beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment