Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Casa Rosita's

Who likes Mexican food? A show of "manos", por favor. Aha, I knew it. You can't escape it here in California, but why would you want to? Melty cheese, spicy salsa, succulent meats all served with beans and rice. Sign me up!

Casa Rosita's (Yelp)


There are a lot of Mexican spots around town, so what makes this place any different? Let's find out. We got there on a Friday night and we had to wait about 5-10 minutes for a table. That is a good sign.


They have a small bar with about four bar-stools if you are thirsty, but they only serve beer and wine. Ever have a Beer-rita?


We were seated in the corner and chips and salsa were promptly delivered. They have two kids: pico de gallo and a spicy red. The red didn't kick in at first, but had a slow burn if you like that sort of thing. Not too hot, but I'd advise against guzzling it by the gallon.


She went with the #1 combo of a Beef Taco and Steak Enchilada with rice and beans ($11.50). It arrived hot with lots of cheese on top. She liked how the meat was cooked and the little bit of guacamole on the side. A star of the plate was the enchilada sauce, which had just the right amount of chili flavor.


I went a la carte (that's how I roll) with a Spinach Enchilada, Chicken Tamale and 1/2 beans for $11. I didn't miss the rice and I got some avocado slices on my tamale. Mmm... just looking at this picture now as I'm writing up this review makes me want to drive down there again tonight. Everything in this meal  was delicious. The tamale had a nice light cheese sauce over it that was a good contrast to the slightly spicy enchilada sauce. Magnifico!

This place is a bit far for me, being out on Portola Drive (right behind Cole's BBQ). But if you want a homey, feel-good Mexican meal, you know where to go. Tell 'em Juan sent you!

Scores out of 10:
Food: 8
Service: 8
Atmosphere: 7
Value for price: 8
Overall: 7.75

No comments:

Post a Comment