Sunday, May 18, 2014

Rosie McCann's Downtown

Another beautiful day in Santa Cruz. Not 100 degrees like earlier in the week, but a nice 82. Jim and I found a spot to park a little ways from the restaurant, but didn't mind the extra walk.

Rosie's has been in downtown since 1996 and has serving Irish favorites and many drinks since then. They are always packed on St. Patrick's Day and most Happy Hours too. We decided on lunch there since I had a Groupon. (Seriously, I couldn't afford all these restaurants without a little discount here and there!)

Website


Right on the Pacific Garden Mall, you enter and walk up a staircase to the second floor. There are beer signs all the way up and then you see the long bar with 25 taps and all the bottles. But we're here for food!


Lots of tables and booths to choose from and the windows look down upon the mall. Very cozy. On the other side are some dartboards and flatscreen TVs to watch your favorite games.

Jim and I scouted the menu and he went with the Basic Burger ($9) with one choice of cheese (mozzarella) and one topping (bacon -- is there any other?). He asked for it medium well and said they delivered.


I was thinking more traditional (when in Ireland...), so I ordered the Shepard's Pie ($9) and side Greek salad ($6). The prices here for lunch were really good!


The Pie came with some greens in a balsamic dressing, which went well with the savory meat stew. The potatoes were a bit bland and I would have liked more on top, but the stew underneath was very good. I liked the fresh peas in there too.


The "side" salad came on its own plate and was huge. Generous with the feta cheese, I had to ask Jim to help me out with it. Between that and the main dish, I was happy and stuffed, but not like I couldn't move. Just the right amount to still be functional at work later.

One knock against our visit was the slow service. There was one waitress and she was constantly moving between the tables, but there wasn't a huge crowd. The bartender helped bring out the food too, but it seemed the kitchen quickly fell behind. You should be in and out of a place during the lunch hour, not over.

Scores out of 10:
Food: 6
Service: 5
Atmosphere: 6
Value for the price: 8
Overall: 6.75

No comments:

Post a Comment